Monday, October 1, 2018

No Response to a Resume, What do I do?

My son went through this recently. He applied for a few jobs, one of which he really wanted. He got called back for some interviews, but not for the job that was his choice. With the others planning on making him an offer, he wondered what he should do.

He called, and I'm glad he did. I've been in this situation before, and I've been passive. I've let opportunities go by. I don't know that I would have gotten some of those jobs, but I certainly know that I didn't have a chance with my inaction.

My coaching to him was what I'd tell a fellow professional. If you really want the job, show some initiative and make a call. Let the hiring manager know that you really want the job and you would appreciate any opportunity to discuss the position with them. Apologize for the interruption, but explain you have a deadline with another offer.

I've done this, and I've learned that it helps. Most managers don't want to hire people. It's not the main part of their job, it's a distraction, and it's a pain. Give them an easy way to pick someone, like you, and they often will.

It worked for my son. He got an interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment